There are six qualities that are essential in solid wood flooring to achieve stunning results, with a wooden floor:
1. Straight boards: Each and every board has to be straight without any warping.
2. Uniform thickness: The thickness of every board must be the same. If the boards are not the same thickness a wavy floor is the result.
3. V joints must be small and consistent (V joints are where the boards meet, and form a v.) If the V joints are large, you will have dust and dirt collect in the space; this just makes cleaning the floor more work.
4. Uniform finish: The finish must be applied evenly over the complete surface of every board, including the v joint.
5. Consistent color: All boards from all boxes should be the same color.
6. Boards should be free of dead knots, decay or fungi.
There are so many beautiful varieties of hardwood flooring. A few notable ones are:
• Brazilian Cherry Wood (Jatoba): Has a wonderful rich golden luster. Brazilian Cherry Wood can be gray, pink or white in its sapwood, and in the heartwood the color ranges from orange-brown when cut, and a rusty brown color when it ages.
• White Oak: Has a beautiful grain that is clearly visible and the color ranges from light beige to grayish brown.
• Red Oak: Has a beautiful even grain and a beautiful reddish brown color.
• Yellow Birch: Has a close grain that is usually straight but sometimes has a wavy, curly look. There isn’t much variation in the color from board to board.
• Walnut: The color of Walnut can range from a very rich dark brown to a purplish black.
Flooring installation is very important in achieving a beautiful durable wooden floor. You want to have the highest quality materials coupled with a professional crew of a competent flooring company. Always check the references of the flooring company you hire. Top quality materials need proper installation for a beautiful floor that will last the life of your home.
Click for more home improvement tips: DIY Wooden Flooring Installation Guide